What Are Some Examples of a “Pollinator?”
Insect pollinators include:
- Bees, (honey bees, solitary species, bumblebees)
- Pollen wasps (Masarinae)
- Flies including bee flies
- Hoverflies and mosquitoes
- Lepidopterans, both butterflies and moths
- Lower beetles
Vertebrate pollinators include:
- Mainly bats and birds (large flying fox, hummingbirds, honeyeaters and sunbirds)
- Some non-bat mammals (monkeys, lemurs, possums, rodents)
- Some lizards that pollinate certain plants.
- Humans may also carry out artificial pollination.
The majority of pollinators in our region are insects.
Quick Links to Navigate Operation Pollination: